Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Epic Summer Adventure: Capitol Reef National Park

Welcome to Capitol Reef!



Breakfast Tacos!!

We stayed at the Fruita Campsite, which happens to be a Mormon settlement from the late 1800's

Let the hiking begin! June 14th (Tuesday)
Cohab Canyon Moderate ~ 1 hr 45 min or 3.5 miles round trip 440 foot elevation change
Hidden Canyon with spur trails and overlooks.

FUN!



Sand, my least favorite hiking terrain.


Many different colored rocks were interesting to see.



This is what the park is named after. Supposedly it looks like a Capitol.
Elizabeth thought it looks more like a Bee Hive, which I agreed.
But we decided that Beehive Reef wasn't as cool sounding.

Follow the Cairns. There is a gospel analogy somewhere in that phrase.
Pretty sure I will use it in a talk someday.
More on this when we get to Canyonlands. :)



The Grand Wash
Probably my least favorite hiking experience
Mostly because it was like hiking in sand for 5 miles. sheesh.
The last 2.5 miles was after I had twisted my ankle.
We also attached the Cassidy Arch trail with the Grand Wash.

So 2.5 miles in the wash then 3.5 miles for Cassidy Arch.
We went a little longer then we meant to because the Cassidy Arch Trail was kind of hidden.
Then 2.5 miles back in the wash.

Grand Wash - Easy ~ 2.5 hours or 5 miles round trip 200 foot elevation change
Narrow wash bottom with sheer canyon walls on both sides.

Cassidy Arch - Strenuous ~ 2 hours or 3.5 miles round trip 670 foot elevation change
Climbs steeply with some exposure along high cliffs, ending on top of the arch. (named after Butch Cassidy who was said to have hidden in the canyons.)

Cassidy Arch trail is where I mis stepped and slightly twisted my ankle.
I let it rest for a little while and then carefully hiked down the trail.
I prayed so much before this trip that I would be able to have a good adventure and everything would go all right. I feel like I was greatly blessed. The next day I had forgotten that I had even twisted my ankle.










There is the arch we are going to!


The other side of the Arch

Can you see me?
Good thing I was wearing green. :)

After our hiking we decided to go on a hike with our car!
How fun to be driving around in our car on a car trail. :)


Sunset Point and Goosenecks was our last and final hikes of the day.
It was beautiful!

Sunset point - Easy ~ 15 min or .6 miles round trip 50 foot elevation change
Panoramic view of cliffs and domes; dramatic lighting at days end.


Goosenecks - Easy ~ 2 min or .2 miles round trip 50 foot elevation change
Views of Sulphur Creek Canyon; panoramas


Total Day/Park Hike: 13 miles

This was a fun day!

3 more parks to go
Four Corners
&
Vegas

Really who knew you could pack this much fun into one adventure!


No comments: