Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

Rich Blessings are in Store!

Growing up I always imagined that my life would follow a similar pattern as my own mothers as far as marriage was concerned; getting married around 21-22. I went to college choosing a degree that I thought was a good mother friendly degree. There was never a doubt that I would further my education, it wasn't about getting an MRS. degree, I just wanted something that could allow me to be a mom. While I didn't end up sticking with my original choice I feel I chose well with something that I can really enjoy now that will also allow for flexibility in the future and build skills that are also useful with a family.

Around 19 just before I turned 20 I was talking to my dad and he mentioned to me that he thought I should think about going on a mission. I for one did not have that in my plans and was not really interested in serving a mission. Along with that I had never heard good things about sister missionaries (drama, drama, drama), so why would I want to be one. But I respected my father so I would at least pray about it and see what God thought of the idea. As I prayed part of that thought process was that I wanted to get married and I would prefer that opportunity. I knew that being a wife and mother was such a great calling and service and I was happy to serve in that capacity. Ultimately though my greatest desire was to serve him in the capacity that he would desire me to serve, so I was open to hear what opportunity he would open up for me. The Lord heard and answered my prayers and I may have cried a little when I received the answer; he wanted me to go on a mission. With that decision I was determined to not be a sister missionary that created drama. I can say wholeheartedly that the Lord knows what is best for us and that was one of the best choices I have made in my life thus far.

Returning from my mission the Lord let me know that I would need to be patient in my marriage desires. I thought this meant a few short years, ha ha. Because of this knowledge I took to studying patience and trying to learn from those in the scriptures who exemplified patience. I must say these last several years have taught me some valuable lessons and changed my very character. That is an aspect of the gospel that I am so grateful for: I have the ability to change and progress.

Living a single life has taught me some very valuable things and the Lord has been able to utilize me in ways that he would not have been able to had I been married so young. It has been a struggle, heartbreaking and lonely. It has also been a refining process in which the Lord has taught me to serve at a time when I could easily be selfish. I have seen his purposes fulfilled and been a part of beautiful moments. I have had to struggle for answers, be patient for desired blessings, learn to really trust in the Lord and his promises. When I think of what the Lord is teaching my character and helping me to become I am filled with gratitude for where he has brought me from in just the last 10-15 years. Through my struggles my testimony has been strengthened in God. He has not left me alone. He is always there to remind me in my despair that I have reason to hope, that he has not forgotten me. He provides me the reason and the strength to endure well. I can think of far harder things to endure than my loneliness and heartache for something that I have wanted so much for so long. But as simple as my struggle is, it is mine, and he has not left me alone in it.

I recently joined a family ward after leaving the singles ward and this can be a daunting experience for many. I felt prepared and ready as I had many friends whose examples had paved the way before me and had myself chosen to be in a family ward for a little over a year during my singles ward years which was a great experience. A year before I changed wards I visited to check out the ward I would be a part of since I had recently moved to a new city. I quietly slipped in and sat on the back row, hoping to meet the Bishop after the 1st hour of church but not feeling brave enough to go up and introduce myself to him. As the sacrament hour ended and I stood up I saw the Bishop exiting the chapel quite quickly and thought "oh no". I turned to the door to exit and there was the Bishop opening the door, extending his hand to me to introduce himself and ask me about myself. Needless to say I felt this was going to be a great ward to be a part of. A year later when I started attending the ward full time I was welcomed with open arms. I wish every single adult and member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints could have the experience that I have had over the last year as I came into a new ward. They opened their arms to me and invited me in. They quickly learned my name and I quickly had women that I could call my friends and sit with at church. Everyone was so genuine and loving and wanted me to feel and know that I was a part of their ward family. They truly exemplify Christ's love.

I am grateful for the hands on this earth that have acted as God's hands to lift me up when I have been down. I am grateful for the experiences that I have had and the faith that has grown as a result. I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for those who have taught me how to live it. I am grateful for the Lord's sure promises and the hope I can continue to have in them. I have been blessed greatly in my life and I know that rich blessings are in store. He does not forget us, we just need to look to him so we can see.



No comments: