Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19, 2006


4 years ago I walked off the plane to be pleasantly surprised by my family who I had not seen in a year and a half happily waiting for me with an airport security guard. Two people looked somewhat unfamiliar to me, thinking they must be friends of the family, only to realize that they were my brother Seth and sister Laura who I thought for a second were missing. Hugs, tears of joy, a very happy reunion, exclamations of shock as to the weight I had lost :). Soon we were quickly on our way through this strange new city of Austin to meet my Stake President who would release me from my mission in his home. Sadness overwhelmed me as President Dixon talked about how I was stepping off the plane and into a new life. Why couldn't I have extended, why did the Elders seem to think that I needed to go home to continue my progression in life? Why when some of the greatest happiness I had ever felt had been in serving the Lord and his people. How could I take off the name tag of Sister Clements that I had come to love soo much? Funny when I first walked into the mission and everything was strange. Elders talked about how much they loved Oregon and its people, I thought I would never get used to being called Sister Clements, it made me feel old at first. And then over the next year and a half I came to love Sister Clements, I came to love Oregon and it's people. I witnessed the love that God has for his children and for me.
That year and a half has shaped the 4 years that I have lived since then. I learned patience, hope, faith, love... and many other attributes that have given me so much strength as I have come into different situations. I always remember the miracles witnessed and remember to have hope. I remember the love God has for me and know that he is still with me. I remember the spirit he blessed me with to bless others lives and know that I still have that spirit now to continue to be a blessing in others lives. I came to know my Savior and Heavenly Father in a way that I had never known them before. I came to trust in them like I had never needed to trust in them before. I came to understand how Heavenly Father works in our lives and answers our prayers. I have still grown much since then, and will continue to grow much, but such a wonderful foundation I was blessed to have in serving a mission. I see why I needed to come home and continue to progress in a different way. My purpose has not changed from my mission, it is just in a new area with new people and a different environment.

Happy 4 years Michelle!! Here is to another wonderful many years to come.

2 comments:

tck4texas said...

4 years I have known you? Really? Wow how time flies! I am so grateful to have you as a friend!

Jonesy said...

Tender! Thanks for sharing, good stuff :D